Saturday, August 18, 2012

More Pies! (Big Surprise)

I was inspired this week to make spinach pie, but I didn't want to use filo dough, so I made it in a traditional pie crust.

I made two batches of pie crust, and they turned out quite different. The pie shell on the right is just a little too dry; you can tell because it's too dark, and it was stiff when I handled it. It was more prone to cracks, and more difficult to mold into the shape I wanted. The shell on the left had enough water. It was very elastic, easy to handle, and turned out lovely and flakey.


"Yes, but Amanda, how did the filling turn out?"
Deliciously. ^_^



I used half feta and half ricotta. I put yellow onion and green onion, fresh dill and fresh parsley. 






I had so much pie crust left over, I just baked it in an empty shell and decided I would figure out what to do with it later in the week.

I ended up melting chocolate into it, hoping the hardened chocolate shell would keep the crust dry, then piled fresh berries in it, then topped it with from-scratch whipped cream.




So far, Brandon seems to approve ^_^

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the spinach pies look fantastic..you're a pro, I say! :) Also, do I have to wait till tomorrow to try that fruit tart? :D

    ReplyDelete